January 17, 2011

A New Life: Leaving familiar Grounds

A new life. Leaving the familiar and going to the unfamiliar....change...transtion....That is what happens when you choose to make a change in your life. When you choose to say, "I have had enough and I want something better". That is what I said, when I knew that it was time to leave my life of feeding my emotions. It was all I knew, it was what I thought would bring me the comfort, the love, the joy that I so craved...when instead it would always lead me into despair. I felt so weak, so defeated, so ashamed to admit that I had a food addiction. But...it takes a strong person to stand up and face the music. It takes a woman of courage to look in the mirror and want freedom. A scary step, yet a courageous one.
If I took it, and boy am I glad I did. I was terrified.
Scripture commands us, in Joshua 1:9... to "Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified...". Well, that is much easier said than done. It is scary leaving all that you know. It is scary to begin a new life. How is it possible? Joshua gives you the answer....."...for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."
I am not alone. You are not alone. The Lord, your God will be with you. How comforting I found that scripture, as food was my God. Food was what I could go to when I was afraid, lonely, frustrated, depressed....I needed to let go of the hand of my buddy food, and take the hand of my Lord. The One who was going to be the driver on this new journey into freedom. It was an action. I had to choose to believe that God was with me through this. I didn't have to fear freedom. I was allowed to enjoy the process, because God would be leading me and was with me.
God was the unfamiliar to me, but I was ready for unfamiliar...as my familiar was not working.
So whenever I am afraid, I rest in the truth of Joshua 1:9....that I don't have to be terrified, or discouraged, with God by my side.
Rest in that truth....even if you don't know God...you will, as you continue through this workbook. I didn't know Him, yet I was ready to take the chance to begin to trust in a new God, as my old one was not working.
It is time to fly....with God.
Peace,
joni

No comments:

Post a Comment